Sunday, May 30, 2010

Book Birthdays: BEAUTIFUL YETTA & CATWHISKERED GIRL

I was going to make this two seperate posts, but it seems that the books shipped a bit early. Since they are in stores now, I might as well talk about both at once.

SPECIAL NOTE:
Daniel and Jill Pinkwater are doing a very rare launch event June 5 at Oblong Books in Rhinebeck, NY. It should be great fun -- I know that I am looking forward to it!  These books should be available at a store near you, but if you would like autographed copies of these or any other Pinkwater books, you should either plan to attend the event, OR order the books from Oblong beforehand and tell them that you want them autographed!!

BEAUTIFUL YETTA, THE YIDDISH CHICKEN by Daniel Pinkwater, illus by Jill Pinkwater:  Beautiful Yetta manages to escape from the butcher’s shop. But now she is lost in Brooklyn—a strange place filled with rude rats and dangerous buses. Oy!

But then, brave Yetta saves a small green bird from a sneaky cat. His friends, the wild parrots of Brooklyn, are very grateful.
Has beautiful Yetta found her new home?

Inspired by real events, this multilingual story is a witty, warm, and wonderful read-aloud for any age. 

Praise For Beautiful Yetta
"...breathlessly ingenuous narration...A delicious, loopy romp to savor whether it’s Friday or not. Truly!" --Kirkus Reviews, STARRED

"A warm twist on the immigration story that celebrates the richness of urban diversity"--Booklist

“This story speaks to the child who’s new to a country, new to a neighborhood, or who simply finds himself on the outside looking for a way in. Yetta may be out of her element, but she knows who she is and acts with confidence. Brava!” --Shelf Awareness

ADVENTURES OF A CAT-WHISKERED GIRL by Daniel Pinkwater:  Features interdimensional aliens, haunted hospitals, Marlon Brando and Poughkeepsie, New York... but especially a girl named Big Audrey, her telepathic friend Molly, and a cat-whiskered doppelganger. This book truly defies description, so I am not even going to try. 

This is a Junior Library Guild selection.

Read the awesome BoingBoing review!

Praise For Daniel & Cat-Whiskered Girl...

"Daniel Pinkwater is the best, weirdest, most inspiring writer in the field today. Watching him do bizarro is like watching Fred Astaire dance: jaw-dropping magic that appears effortless and natural. Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl is full of places I want to go, secret societies I want to join, people I want to meet, and fried foods I want to gorge upon. This book will make you a very happy mutant indeed." --Cory Doctorow, author of Little Brother and For The Win

"What Pinkwater does is magic, and I'm grateful for it." --Neil Gaiman


EVENT DETAILS:
Saturday, June 5, 2010 - 2pm
Oblong Books & Music
6422 Montgomery Street
Rhinebeck, New York 12572

For more info or to pre-order books: (845) 876-0500  

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wish I lived in NY. So many more opportunites for writers. I live in the woods. But I guess if I lived in NY I would wish I lived here.Yetta sounds awesome. Great Luck with the signing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this. I so wish I could be there as I feel a kindred spirit in Daniel Pinkwater, having lived (next to) Hoboken, in Chicago & LA. I'll be calling the store first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read part of Catwhiskered Girl online today and loved it. So funny. Whacky characters loaded on by the shovelful... how does it all work so well?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - if I'm at my desk, they'll show up quickly. If I'm not... not so quickly. Thanks for your patience!