Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Books I Have A Crush On

To be clear, these are NOT by my clients. They are brand-new or upcoming books that I love or I am dying to read, in order of availability.* Inspired by Editorial Anon's post:

SCARLETT FEVER by Maureen Johnson: I finished this a couple weeks ago and still can't get over how much I love Scarlett and her whole kooky family. If you love Drama, Broadway, Hotels, NYC, Funny things, Tiny Dogs or just THINGS THAT ARE EXCELLENT, you will love Scarlett. (Out now!)
 THE SPACE BETWEEN TREES by Katie Williams: I haven't read this yet, it comes out later this week. But it is a totally cool looking coming-of-age meets murder-mystery. And the cover is going to be extra-special - get a copy yourself and you'll see why. Yay, I can't wait! (May 12)

SEA by Heidi R. Kling: About a girl who goes to Indonesia to help tsunami victims, and how one boy changes her life. I read this a year ago and this is what I said then: "Heartbreaking but always hopeful; achingly romantic but never sappy-- SEA is simply luminous. What a remarkable debut!" (June 10)

PENNY DREADFUL by Laurel Snyder: What can I say about Laurel? She always writes books that have an old-fashioned sensibility while still being totally appealing to modern kids. Warm but not gooey, if you know what I mean. I am reading a galley of this book and it reminds me of all my favorite old stories, while at the same time being entirely its own thing and fresh. And I wish I could curl up in bed and finish reading it RIGHT NOW. (Sept 2010)
 
PRISONERS IN THE PALACE: A Novel of Intrigue and Romance About How Princess Victoria Became Queen with the Help of a Maid, a Newspaperman, and a Scoundrel by Michaela McColl: Umm... need I say more? (Chronicle website says August, the galley I have says Oct. Let's split the diff and say Sept 2010.)  So excited to read, this is going to be my vacation book! :-)

What about YOU, what books are you loving or waiting anxiously for?

*And they are examples of the kinds of books I would love to see in my inbox, hint hint!

3 comments:

  1. Awww! Thanks!
    They all look fab especially that last one. It may need to be *my* vacation book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you tell me about books coming out, except then it's so hard to wait! :)

    I just got blown away by Kathryn Erskine's Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just enjoyed Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater so now I'm looking forward to the next one in July.

    Now I'm reading The Hunger Games. If I keep being as sucked in, I'll be waiting for the third book as anxiously as everyone else.

    I've heard good things about Hush, Hush and Before I Fall but haven't gotten to them yet.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - if I'm at my desk, they'll show up quickly. If I'm not... not so quickly. Thanks for your patience!