Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Book Birthday: GET REAL by Mara Rockliff

GET REAL: What Kind of World are YOU Buying? is a buy-better manifesto for kids 10+ that takes on issues like the truth about advertising to kids, the nasty side of yummy fast food and cheap t-shirts, what "green" really means, how cutting-edge tech might save our butts, and more. Mara Rockliff's voice is frank, vivid and 100% BS-free, and the book is chock full of interesting sidebars, quizzes, and cool graphics. 

I truly believe that it is a book that will change readers, long-term. Heck, it already made me stop drinking bottled water -- and that was just the intro!  I would recommend it for the young activist in your life, and for classroom and library use.
GET REAL will leave young readers fired up and ready to make a  difference with their dollars—and their lives.
"This savvy guide encourages teens to be knowledgeable and media-literate consumers...Rockliff's frank discussions should have conscientious readers reconsidering their economic actions, while expanding their green vocabulary."  -- Publishers Weekly
About the Author: When she’s not spreading dangerous ideas, Mara Rockliff can be spotted loading up on books at her town library, biking to a nearby farm for fresh ingredients for homemade ice cream, or fixing yet another mug of fair trade tea. In real life, she lives in eastern Pennsylvania with her family.

7 comments:

  1. This is great. I have had long conversations with my sons and my nieces and nephews while watching tv about the manipulation of advertising. Can't wait to read this!
    ~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation. I will look forward to reading this with my sons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:18 AM

    Congrats to Mara on a great book!
    Becky R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I HAVE to get this for my nephews. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:58 PM

    i have this book its really good 2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:59 PM

    i have this book and it is really good

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - if I'm at my desk, they'll show up quickly. If I'm not... not so quickly. Thanks for your patience!