Sunday, October 10, 2010

Two New Sales

This past week has been quite interesting and busy. Moxie is finally settled in, which means that she is starting to feel relaxed enough to misbehave (we are taking obedience classes soon!) My mom is coming to visit from Hawaii today, so I've been prepping for that. AND, I have a couple of new books to announce!

Children's: Picture book
NYT bestselling author/illustrator Calef Brown's fanciful bestiary and book of inspiration for young artists, to Chronicle, by Jennifer Laughran at Andrea Brown Literary Agency.

What can I say, Calef is a genius, and this book will be unlike anything he's made before, or you've seen before. Other than that, my lips are sealed.

(except a quiet squeal of delight!)

Children's: Young Adult
Erin Lange's debut BUTTER, about a lonely 423-pound boy who decides to eat himself to death live on the Internet, and the bullies who become macabre cheerleaders for his plan, to Bloomsbury, by Jennifer Laughran at Andrea Brown Literary Agency.

Erin first queried me in February. I liked the book, but I was totally disturbed by some of it, and not disturbed ENOUGH by some of it, and wanted revisions, and declined in April. Erin did the revisions and resubmitted in July... and then like two days later, said that she had an offer already. YIKES!! I read the book quickly and saw how amazingly spot-on her revisions were, and I knew that I had to have her as a client. So I offered too, and then a very nervous week elapsed. Finally she said yes - only a week before I was getting set to move cross-country and take a month off. (You see how long things take sometimes?)

Here's where the even more fun part comes. When I subbed the book to editors a couple of weeks ago, we had responses LIKE LIGHTNING. And lots of interest. And after an extremely difficult decision... a deal! Yayyy! I am so excited about this book, it is AMAZING. Heartbreaking and scary and page-turning, and it will seriously stick with you long after you've turned the last page.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    Butter sounds like an amazing book - one I'll surely have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I am so excited to read Erin's book, it sounds so compelling, and it went to Bloomsbury too! =D =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, congratulations. Love how you share these stories, it's very generous of you. Your excitement and passion for what you do are contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they both sound fantastic!
    Congrats to you, Calef and Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I can't wait to read BUTTER. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They both sound amazing! Congratulations to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Butter sounds amazing! Definitely one for which I'll keep an eye out. Congrats on the sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to you and to Calef & Erin as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:37 PM

    Oh Butter sounds so disturbing, which is why I bet its a great read. Good luck with Moxie by the way. Check out clicker training videos, they have simple to teach behaviors. :)

    -Valeria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both books sound amazing and exciting. I'm especially delighted to hear of the PB. Very inspiring and encouraging news!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - if I'm at my desk, they'll show up quickly. If I'm not... not so quickly. Thanks for your patience!